Monday, August 4, 2014

The spirit body of man

It is interesting to me that I hear such different opinions on the topic of the spirit. To me it is simple: all things which are alive have a spirit, also known as the soul. The spirit and the body are like a hand in a glove; when the hand is removed, the glove is dead and unmoving. Likewise our body, when we die, disintegrates, but our spirit leaves our body to progress to the next world - the spirit world. There we await our resurrection, when our bodies are restored from corruption and reunited with our spirits, never again to be separated.

Such things are clear to me, I have known them from childhood. The Bible teaches these doctrines plainly:
"O Lord my God, I pray thee, let this child's soul come into him again." - 1 Kings 17:21, The prayer of Elijah to raise the widow's son.
"For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also." - James 2:26
"By which also he [Christ] went and preached unto the spirits in prison; Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing..." - 1 Peter 3:19-20
 Perhaps there are even better references than these. (Any suggestions?) Here is another scripture, an account of the apostles seeing the resurrected Christ:
"And as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you. But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit. And he said unto them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts? Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have." - Luke 24:36-39
 He also went on to eat some fish and honeycomb, to show, we may suppose, that he had a physical body capable of the most natural act of eating physical food. He was a resurrected being, and the first to ever have "lived again":
"But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept... For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive." - 1 Corinthians 15:20,22
There are many more things to discuss here, but I will have to return to finish this entry. It is getting late as I write now.

No comments:

Post a Comment